last year on this day i participated in something created by teacher dave at Perfect Blue Buildings. he has dubbed april 28th, "embrace the lame" day. basically it's a day to confess all your hidden lameness. now that it's spring, think of it as some spring cleaning for the soul. it's just not healthy to keep all those secret lame things you do or like inside. let the cleansing commence:
- i watched an episode of veronica mars (our new favorite show) in which she was punished by the vice-principal by having to organize, alphabetize and arrange in new filing cabinets every student's file that had ever gone to the school. i leaned over to henri and asked if it was lame of me to be jealous of veronica. i would love that job!
- i think i've mentioned this before but, i really like celine dion's french songs. to help my french along, i might have, maybe looked up some of the lyrics online and sang along with celine.
- while a young teenager, i was a huge star trek: the next generation. in fact, i had a crush on commander william riker, who you might notice has a beard. i think he was the first of my bearded crushes (which, i know sounds weird), culminating in me marrying my fine, bearded man. while worf did have a beard at times, i did know where to draw the line.
- i taught some of my students at the high school "lame" phrases from my high school days like: psyche (when i was young enough to think it was cool to say that, i thought it was spelled 'sike'), not!, hang loose, dude, i know you are, but what am i (that was hard to explain in french), rad, dude (they already kind of knew that one), no duh, wicked. next time i may bring some music from the same era that i still think is cool, like milli vanilli, mc hammer, guns n roses, jon secada or bon jovi.
- i use bloglines to organize the plethora of blogs i read on a mostly daily basis. i have seven categories to keep them all nice and tidy: 'mericans, canucks, frenchies, random ex-pats, gossip (i suppose that is really the lamest one of the bunch and yet it's my favorite), foodies (a gir'ls gotta try out new recipes every once in a while), and news. the interesting thing is that out of all the blogs i read, i know 19 of the authors personally. it's such a great way to keep in touch when i live thousands of miles away.
- name a show and i can probably hum or sing the theme song. i know all the words to the theme song from the nanny..."she was working at a bridal shop in flushing, queens..." i also do a pretty stellar humming of the theme from the a-team, complete with machine gun sounds at the end.
- when i can't sleep, i read the french-english dictionary. did you know that there aren't a lot of french words that start with the letter k?
- i love reality shows....survivor, america's next top model, amazing race, american/canadian idol, star academy (only here in france). you don't find too many people on the fence about reality tv; it seems you either love it or hate it.
- i love crossword puzzles and miss doing them in an actual paper with a real pencil. i am now forced to fill them out online like at usatoday, but they have a timer and it's too easy to find answers.
well that's certainly enough lameness for now. i do feel better for sharing. now everyone can make fun of me, not just henri.
go now now, embrace the lame in yourselves!